Time & Location
07 Sept, 2:00 pm – 11 Sept, 10:00 am
Tamworth, 83/85 Ebsworth St, Tamworth NSW 2340, Australia
About the Event
A joint RR&BCCNSW/SHRF event. Queen Elizabeth’s 1977 Silver Jubilee Tour included a visit to Tamworth to open the new County Councilheadquarters. The SHRF Phantom V (5VF159) was the car used during the Tamworth visit. As a commemoration of this event, a gathering of all model Phantoms is proposed.
Below is a preliminary plan for the tour. Details may change according to circumstances.
Thursday 7th Sept:
· arrival at the "Ashby House" motel - 83/85 Ebsworth St, Tamworth - 02 6762 0033. We have reserved 17 rooms of various configurations (from Thurs 7th until Sun 10th - departing on Mon 11th) - rooms from $180 (including a continental breakfast) - this is a two storey building so it would be appreciated if those who can, book a 1st floor unit do so, to assist those less mobile. This motel has a certain amount of undercover parking and no cars are visible from the street.
· Dinner at the nearby Marigold Chinese Restaurant, which is just a couple of blocks from the motel
Friday 8th Sept:
· breakfast at the motel
· a visit to Calala Cottage and Museum - the official residence of Philip Gidley-King - the first administrator of the township of Tamworth..
· Lunch in Tamworth - location TBA
· afternoon - tour of the Tamworth PowerStation museum - in 1888, Tamworth was the first location in Australia to have electric street lighting
· dinner at the Wests Leagues Club, or similar
· an evening tour of the Tamworth Regional Astronomy Centre (including an explanatory talk on what can be seen from this site)
Saturday 9th Sept:
· Breakfast at the motel
· Lunch at the historic Dungowan Station - est 1837 - cost TBA - this is about 50km out of town on scenic roads following the Peel River
· Dinner - location TBA
· Evening - a 70s musical review at the Capitol Theatre - cost TBA
Sunday 10th Sept:
· morning - a self catered picnic/breakfast at Oxley Lookout - various other car clubs will be invited, along with the local media
· lunch - as required - there are many excellent restaurants and cafes available
· Farewell dinner at Carmen's Restaurant - featuring Italian as well as the regular favourites - as well as a la carte, there are a number of set price menus (from about $50 for three courses)- a bus to/from will be provided - price TBA
Monday 11th Sept:
· Departure breakfast at the motel
It is anticipated that there will be free time over the weekend to explore other sites/activities, such as;
· The Country Music centre and Golden Guitar
· The Australian Equine and Livestock Centre - AELEC - a world class venue for horse and cattle events.
· The Tamworth Regional Art Gallery - if there is sufficient interest a tour of the gallery storerooms
· The native Marsupial Park
· The Tamworth Botanic Gardens
· The Riverside Park, with many country music items of interest
The agenda is set at a relaxed pace so that there will be time for coffee and conversation over the weekend. Driving will be minimised - the trip to Dungowan will be the longest - as many will have covered a fair distance just to attend.
To assist in planning, it would be very much appreciated if attendees emailed organisers to confirm their attendance and motel bookings - if they are unable to attend any particular event, please also let the organiser know.
Register your attendance if you have not done so yet!
Click on the RSVP button to download booking form.